A unique cover letter differentiates you from other candidates. It is a statement that says, “I’m interested in working at your company and here are the reasons why you need to contact me.” You don’t want to miss an opportunity to market yourself. Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific organization and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.
Below are tips to follow when preparing your cover letter:
- Personalize it with a name-if you don’t have one, try researching the company website, LinkedIn or Google for the information.
- Never address it “to whom it may concern.” Use “Dear Hiring Manager “or “Human Resources.”
- Don’t write a “letter” use bullets and strong sentences stating your unique abilities-keep the length to a few paragraphs with an opening and closing statement.
- Consider using a success statement that illustrates how you accomplished a project or earned a promotion and how that translates to the job you’re applying for.
- Be professional, with correct spelling and grammar.
Even if your cover letter isn’t read, it shows you went the “extra mile.” As the saying goes, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression.